Show simple item record

dc.creatorNairne & Blunt.
dc.date.accessioned2012-02-07T13:52:35Z
dc.date.available2012-02-07T13:52:35Z
dc.date.createdAbout 1780.
dc.date.issued2012-02-07
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/2152.3/344
dc.description.abstractThis "chest" microscope, a variation on the Cuff model, has a square section pillar hinged to the base of the box. The body-tube fits into a ring at the top of the pillar and can be lifted for packing. The stage focusing is by means of a long screw on the side. A rotating mirror is attached to the pillar by means of a swinging arm. The whole instrument, with accessories (objective lenses, sliders, fish plate) fits into the mahogany case. Signed: Nairne Blunt London.
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.relation.ispartofLondon instrument makers Edward Nairne (1726-1806) and Thomas Blunt (d. 1823) formed a partnership and conducted business at 22 Cornhill from 1774 to 1793. One of the innovations introduced by Edward Nairne was the "Chest Microscope," which provided the instrument with more portability.
dc.subjectBiology
dc.subjectBritish Firms
dc.subjectMicroscopy
dc.subjectOptics
dc.title1.040en_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record